Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Lock and Key - Pull up the Floorboards


This was the record I listened to today that I was into more than expected. This shit is GOOD. And I don't feel like they ever really got recognition. Definitely not a known band. This is the kind of record where I think, "Man, this band should be fairly popular. What happened?"

Lock and Key, they were from Massachusetts. I did a show for them once. They seemed like alright guys. They played well, they were tight. I think I bought the CD just to support them cause they were on tour. Over the years, I've really come to appreciate it.

Sure, it sounds like Hot Water Music. But I don't like Hot Water Music all that much. So then it's similar, but not a copy. Influenced? Absolutely. Ripping off? No, Lock and Key were doing more than that. It's definitely heavier, at times poppier, yet also with tinges of bleakness; there is a certain dark sentiment to this.

You can tell that a lot went into these songs. There's real feeling at hand when I listen to this record, in both the vocals and music. Not just some simple bang it out in five minutes kind of stuff.

One of the best records Deep Elm ever put out, along with some Appleseed Cast and Latterman records. Download it here.

No comments: