Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"Obama budget would cut NASA moon plan"


Incredible. Truly incredible. This shit is stupefying:

President Barack Obama is no longer shooting for the moon, with a budget plan that aborts a symbolic but expensive lunar program and spends $6 billion over five years to turn over space exploration to commercial companies.

Some members of Congress immediately promised a fight. One legislator called the plan a "death march" for human space flight. But NASA deployed astronauts and other experts to say the Constellation program, begun under former President George W. Bush to return humans to the moon, was too slow and wasteful.

The space agency's budget would grow to $19 billion in 2011 under the proposed budget released on Monday, with an emphasis on science and less spent on space exploration.

"What this does is open up (space) for more people to be going more places in a way that is not on the back of the taxpayers," NASA's deputy administrator, Lori Garver, told reporters in a conference call.

Could someone explain NASA to me? I've only seen it written about and heard it spoken about as though it is self-evident. I'm sure it's fun and all, but that really ain't enough to justify such endless expenditures.

Seriously? Nineteen billion dollars? For what benefit? I know the military benefits a lot from developing the bleeding edge technology necessary for space exploration, and I guess we have a lot more plastic things as a result. I really don't think anyone's life has been legitimately enriched by any of this, ever. I know lots of people have made fortunes off of this shit, but that doesn't count. I mean things that really make a difference in people's lives. Really, this is a case of money that could be much better spent elsewhere. They will blow nineteen billion dollars in one year, but it's not enough by their terms. I know they want more. Space travel is some patriotic bullshit. American flag on the fucking moon. Kill me.

No comments: