Monday, January 18, 2010

"Calif. apartments evacuated as cliff crumbles"


Old news, I know, but I've been real fuckin busy the last four weeks. Anyway, I feel bad for these people, cause "apartments" doesn't tend to indicate extreme wealth, and I don't even know what wound up happening with this situation, but let me tell you, I cannot fucking WAIT for this shit to start happening to the rich, stupid fucks who have all their homes and vacation homes on the fucking beach.

It will happen.

They can build all the artificial dunes and walls they want, but there is a threshold above which people simply cannot stop nature.

I have lived by the ocean all my life, and see these shortsighted, arrogant people claim the plots of land closest to the open water for themselves, so that they may construct ostentatious, decadent homes for themselves and deny everyone else access to the water. They destroy so much habitat in this process, and it doesn't matter because they have money and the power that comes with it.

The best part is that they are profoundly stupid, in that they seem to honestly believe that they can keep the water where it is, as though that is where it has always been.

They think that just because they can buy a small parcel of land and that they want it means that they should buy it and they can do whatever they wish with it. It's as though most people don't understand the incredible risks that come with deliberately living so close to something as volatile as an ocean. Truly insane.

No comments: